Sunday, September 2, 2018

Book Review: The Perils of Being Moderately Famous by Soha Ali Khan

The Perils of Being Moderately Famous is the debut book by Indian actor Soha Ali Khan. Let me sum up it with three words before I dive into the particulars:


  1. Brilliant
  2. Witty
  3. Not a fairy tale of a princess

Image result for the perils of being moderately famous


Why did I pick her book when there are acclaimed memoir?

I was impressed with the story of Soha Ali Khan and her mother Sharmila Tagore published in HT Brunch. I could see two beautiful ladies living a simple life, nurturing values from mother to a daughter and then daughter to her daughter. It intrigued me.

The Book:


The moment I started reading The Perils of Being Moderately Famous from the Introduction it felt like the author is sitting right across me and narrating her story.

The book begins with a witty note followed by the history of the royals – the Nawabs of Pataudi, life of her father – Mansur Ali Khan Pataudi.

She has divided the book in 9 chapters and the titles are quite interesting.One may not like the first two chapters wherein she has explained in-detail about her ancestors but it is her family’s history after all. The book paces up with the third chapter. The sprinkle of humor here and there made me to read on swiftly. Soha Ali Khan writes about her life growing amidst famous and how she built up her own identity. She writes affectionately about the relationship with her father.


Education and Work Life Not as an Actress


How many of us knew she is an Oxford graduate and later on worked in Citibank as a Manager in Mumbai till we read this memoir? She is extremely well-read and this has helped immensely in her flawless and candid writing style.

Travel and Adventure


We’ll Always Have Paris is about her travel experiences with her pal – traveling across the Sahara Desert, standing along the Grand Canyon, spending night in clay hut and finally coming face to face with one of the wonders of the world – Eiffel Tower and wishing to find her love beneath it. Indeed, she did later on after many years.

Mumbai Meri Jaan


How can I not mention about the chapter – Wakeful City, after all its about her love for Mumbai (mine too). My most favourite are the last two chapters where you will read how she fell for Kunal even though younger than her. It is adorable, funny and intelligently written and ends with a note to the reader.

End yet the beginning


The last one is about her pregnancy. Soha Ali Khan has dedicated this memoir to her daughter, Inaaya and ends with a note to her.

Final Verdict


Don’t read the book for her being related to famous people in her life, not for Saifeena but read it for Soha Ali Khan – you’ll find an outstanding writer and become a fan of her writing. 

I am taking my Alexa rank to the next level with Blogchatter by participating in My Friend Alexa.

6 comments:

  1. I love her for her kind heart... Will definitely read it.. Nice post.. #MyFriendalexa #Flavorsofworldread

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Priyanka: She is an amazing writer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review. It compels me to read the book asap. :)
    #readbypreetispanorama for #MyFriendAlexa

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked the reason you picked this book to read. Indeed, many times we read books not for the stories but because we are impressed by the authors.

    A good review.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really didn't know about this book. Sounds like a really refreshing and honest take on the celebrity culture in our country. Would love to read it

    ReplyDelete