Wednesday, January 3, 2018

2017 – The Year that was

Looking back and turning pages of 2017 I can name the theme for the year as ‘Keep Yourself First’. Many will find it selfish but trust me guys if I hadn’t done that I would have perished in my own darkness.

I am not an actual definition of ‘introvert’ but I love being alone (not lonely), if anyone wants to gift me with something give me the time for myself – Solitude. I had many opportunities in 2017 and I grabbed every single of them.

Work has and is keeping me sane with the turmoil in other aspect of life. Truth be told I have stayed away from ‘clinical’ part of my work. My best colleague and friend still keep persisting me to ‘practice’ because of my clinical knowledge (not bragging at all). I have been trained under one of the best Psychotherapist & Counsellor (Dr.Minnu R. Bhonsle) in Mumbai and her words are enlightening– “Counselling is as effective as the counsellor is himself living effectively”. The day I live effectively I can help others to live theirs.

I had plans for blogging platform but I never forced myself to do them. I took it easy. I tried to catch up or rather staying ‘online’ on other social platforms but couldn’t do it. I won’t say I failed but I realized that I am not the person who wants to make her presence felt on social media every single day. Posting images of myself or my surroundings doesn’t come easy for me.

It was first time I mentioned about infertility in the post Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish and its effect on mental health. I took a step back from medications and all the stressful investigations related to infertility in 2017, which I must say helped me. Because I needed time to take crucial decision regarding the same which isn’t easy being a female.

Music and reading are the best companions in my highs and lows. I had set 15 books to read on Goodreads Reading Challenge which I did complete. 15 is low but considering I had not read even 5 books in a year in recent past is quite appreciable. 

My dream destination came true in May 2017. Kashmir! I have no words to describe the beauty of Kashmir, believe me. The warmth of Kashmiris will make you wonder and question, is this the most terror stricken place? They welcome you wholeheartedly and tourism being their main source of income people should visit it. We did experience the time of terrorism wherein we had been evacuated in midst of the night from the hotel (twice in a week). But the locals ensured we were safe.

I would like to quote here by Soumya of Life of Leo: “Every woman needs someone by her side who makes her feel strong, beautiful and cherished. This can be the partner, a friend or just the mirror.” For me it has been a friend, forever.

The last quarter of the year made me amazed. There were rush of emotions. Awe. Happy. Ecstasy. Regret. Guilt. Sadness. I drowned in and learned to swim within them. I choose my happiness even though there was selfishness in it. But for once I embraced it without any guilt.

31st December 2017 was memorable and there is only one person who knows the why. To sum it up- 2017 was dedicated for ‘Me Time, Ponder over emotions and decisions to make’. Ending this post but beginning 2018 with the quote by Audrey Hepburn: “The most important thing is to enjoy your life - to be happy - it's all that matters.”

audrey hepburn quotes




No comments:

Post a Comment